PLEASE NOTE: This page currently partially redirects to the old SL for Nowt blog. Also, I have decided to completely re-write my Non-Newbieness Guides, as they are so out-of-date. They are no longer linked-to here.
If you’re completely new to Second Life, then this is the page you should begin with. I’ve been putting together guides to lose those newbie looks as soon as possible, and I plan to start writing some posts about the absolute basics in-world, such as how to rez boxes, how to change skins, and the like. As I write all of these posts for newbies, I’ll link them in here, so if you meet a newbie in-world and want to help them out, you only need to give them the URL for this page. They can explore the rest of the blog at their leisure, once they’re kitted out.
So without further ado, here are the essential posts:
(The Basics list will be added to as I write each post)
THOSE LITTLE QUESTIONS
Those Little Questions is a general Question and Answer series on the blog. Sometimes I’ll focus on one specific thing (in which case I’ll link that individual post here) but mainly I look at the search terms that bring people to the blog and try to answer the random questions people show up with.
Making a little hideaway for yourself
– further to the private space post; this is more detailed and has even more hints & tips!
HINTS & TIPS
“Too bright” to “just right” – Editing prim clothing items
– note: this now works in reverse, as you’ll need to edit darker prim clothing to white
Oh honey, no: Professional begging
– don’t do it!
Creating a low-ARC look
– this mainly will help your own computer, but also helps others around you with lower graphics capabilities
How Mar got her ARC even lower
– see above note
PSA: Group invites
– specifically about pay-to-join groups
Sick of those flesh-toned pants bottoms?
– here’s a free fix!
Removing yourself from unwanted notice lists
– primarily subscribe-o-matics; see below for hippoGROUPS lists
Taking a flattering photo
– it’s all about the angle!
Multi-purpose post! SF Design’s November freebie, dollarbie capris, plus a shoe-colouring tutorial
– how to match your shoes exactly to your outfit
Quick Tip: Mar’s (Really Easy!) Guide to Cataloguing Skins
– a super-fast way – once you’ve done the initial legwork! – of seeing which skin is which without waiting for them all to rez as you wear them
Those Darned Scripts!
– why you need to keep an eye on how many scripts you’re wearing, why it’s beneficial to you to keep the number low, and a freebie gadget to help you count them
An important heads-up about scammers in SL
– because they operate in SL just as much as in RL
Make a creator’s day by leaving them a Marketplace review!
– because it’s great to get feedback on what you do, right?
Hassle-free shopping on SL Marketplace
– hints and tips on how to find interesting and unusual stuff
Avoiding SL’s panhandlers
– how to spot the ‘flatterbots’ that ‘converse’ with you then ask for money after 10 minutes
I blog, therefore I am!
– setting up your own SL-related blog
Useful gadgets #1 – The Bright Packer
– will let you unpack things, even in no-rez areas
Useful gadgets #2 – The Eternity Teleporter Pad
– free and very easy to customise
Reporting Griefers – Very Detailed Instructions
– Second Life wiki article